Random Fashion Coolness.

Random Fashion Coolness has moved! This blog can now be found at RandomFashionCoolness.com, so make sure you update your bookmarks. See you there!

Tuesday 27 March 2007

Abercrombie & Fitch - Logo Hell...but wait...there seems to be a glimmer of hope!



I'm not the biggest fan of Abercrombie & Fitch, in fact I'm not a fan of blatant logo-wear full stop. A&F (as they are also known) used to epitomise all I hated about logo emblazened fashion but since my last visit to the U.S.A. some key pieces have slowly changed my way of thinking. Of course Abercrombie still displays a plethora of logos but with the advent of its inoffensive moose logo, some subtilty has crept into their designs. Touches of grey creep into my look on a daily basis, so I was pretty impressed with these items. I adore the little grey, short-sleeved hoodie, the mini-pockets are extremely cute and not a hint of a logo in sight! The cable knit, chunky, hooded grey cardigan is also pretty gorgeous - the little bows on the pockets adding a very feminine touch. All the other pieces have the aforementioned, very unobjectionable, moose logo.

I read a really interesting article about the company in last weekend's Sunday Times Style section. It tells of how only very specific types of people are employed in their stores, those who embody the A&F "look", i.e. toned, young and beautiful. This form of exploitation does worry me in our image obsessed society as do the perfect clones that model on their website (a.k.a. the A&F "New Faces"). But Abercrombie has always been the flag bearer for all that is young americana and I suppose that isn't going to change anytime soon. The one good thing for you A&F lovers is that you now don't have to pop across the pond to get your fix of Abercrombie - the new London flagship store and U.K. based website can fulfill your logo cravings. I think I'll settle for these more subtle wardrobe staples and try and ignore the frankly unobtainable perfection (unless you've been blessed with amazing genes!) of their models and staff.

No comments: